NEWS SCAN: No answers in E coli probe, NIH biodefense grant

first_img Nestle: So far no E coli in dough samplesA Nestle spokeswoman told CIDRAP News today that the multistate outbreak strain of Escherichia coli O157: H7 has not been found so far in any of the company’s refrigerated cookie dough products. Roz O’Hearn, the spokeswoman, said FDA investigators were still at the Danville, Va., plant and that the company is fully cooperating with the probe. She said the company and federal officials have a difficult task defining what products might be contaminated, because the voluntary recall covers so many dough varieties, product sizes, and production dates. Nestle said earlier this week that investigators were also testing the plant’s equipment, water, and air handling systems. The Wall Street Journal reported today that, according to FDA inspection reports, Nestle refused to turn certain records—such as pest-control documents and consumer complaints—over to the agency during routine inspections. In a statement today, Nestle said it gave the FDA all of the information required by law in the September 2006 inspection, which it called a standard industry practice. Nestle also said no food safety issues were identified in that inspection. In other developments, the CDC said yesterday that the E coli outbreak involves 69 cases in 29 states—one fewer case and state than reported on Jun 22. A case from Hawaii is no longer included in the total.[Jun 26 Wall Street Journal report][Jun 26 Nestle statement][Jun 25 CDC outbreak update] Jun 26, 2009 Biodefense consortium receives $37 million NIH grant extensionWashington University in St Louis recently announced that the National Institutes of Health extended funding—a 5-year, $37 million grant—for the Midwest Regional Center for Excellence in Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases, headquartered at the institution’s medical school. The center’s areas of study include (1) innate immunity against biological assaults and (2) West Nile virus and poxviruses. The center is a consortium that includes eight other midwestern institutions and collaboration activities in Africa and China.[Jun 24 Washington University press release]last_img read more

MAN WHO BEAT AND ROBBED 96 YEAR OLD GRETA LILLY JAILED FOR FIVE YEARS

first_imgA man who dragged a 96 year old women from her bed, beat her and robbed her of €3,000 has been jailed for five years.The community raised money to help Ms Greta Lilly get back on her feet.Thomas Alcock kicked in the bedroom door of terrified Greta Lilly at her home in Buncrana in the early hours of January 5th this year. The 49 year old father-of-one had only been released from jail a few weeks earlier in the UK before he travelled to Ireland to live in Donegal.Alcock called to Ms Lilly’s home three times on the day before the robbery looking to buy scrap metal.However at 12.30am the following morning after smoking cannabis and taking crack cocaine he called to Ms Lilly’s home.Once inside her bedroom he carried out a horrific assault on the 96 year old woman who lived alone.Garda Danny Devlin told Letterkenny Circuit Court that Alcock, of no fixed abode, hit Ms Lilly in the face, dragged her by the hair and also stuffed her own cardigan in her mouth to keep her quiet.He told her he would kill her if she not co-operate with him.The attacker, who was hooded, dragged her out of the bed and stole her handbag which contained €3,000 and a gold ring belonging to her mother.Ms Lilly finally managed to summon help by pressing an alarm which she had around her wrist.Gardai began a manhunt for Alcock and learned that he may be in a local hotel.He was arrested with £800 stuffed in a sock outside his bedroom at An Grianan Hotel in Burt.When interviewed, he refused to co-operate at all.The court also heard that a local Bureau de Change reported a man had changed €3,500 to sterling, including a number of €100 notes.He also bought a van and the van-driver became suspicious and contacted Gardai.The court heard that Ms Lilly was taken to Letterkenny General Hospital to be treated for her injuries but was released.However, she has since gone to live in residential care where she remains living after her ordeal.Alcock asked to address the court and said “I feel great shame for what I done. I apologise,” he said.Judge O’Hagan asked Alcock: did he not realise that the victim was 46 years older than him?Judge O’Hagan said that if Alcock had not pleaded guilty and was found guilty by a jury, he would have sentenced him to ten years in prison for the burglary charge.The court was told that the money recovered from the sale of the van had been returned to Gardai and the van could be returned to its owner.Judge O’Hagan also paid tribute to the “wonderful detective work” and also the local community in Buncrana for helping bringing Alcock to justice.MAN WHO BEAT AND ROBBED 96 YEAR OLD GRETA LILLY JAILED FOR FIVE YEARS was last modified: October 30th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranaburglaryGreta LillyJUdge John O’HaganThomas Alcocklast_img read more

HARPS RAMBLE TO CUP QUARTER FINAL WITH STYLISH DISPLAY

first_imgCobh Ramblers 0 Finn Harps 4  The long journey home on the coach from Cobh will be a lot easier for Finn Harps tonight after they booked a place in the FAI quarter finals in style.The Donegal outfit might have thought they left the game behind them in Ballybofey last Friday night when Cobh scored a late, late goal to earn a replay.Despite starting the brighter tonight, Cobh lost concentration and were punished with two first half goals from Kevin McHugh and recent signing Lee Toland. The goals left Cobh chasing their tails and frustrated they saw two players dismissed to leave Harps to coast home eventually winning 4-0.Their reward is now a home-draw against Drogheda Utd at Finn Park on September 13th.Cobh used their home advantage to the full at St Coleman’s Park early on tonight.Both David O’Neill and lively winger Alan O’Flynn could have been the Cork side in front in the opening half hour. But a rash challenge from Craig Burns on Kevin McHugh inside the area on 34 minutes gifted Harps a chance to press ahead.The Harps captain took responsibility for the spot kick and it’s not often the Killea man misses from here.If the visitors were buoyed by their lead, they were already planning their gameplan against Drogheda after Lee Toland made it 2-0 four minutes later form a free-kick.Brendan Frahill handled on the edge of his own area and Toland drilled the ball low into the bottom corner of the Cobh net.Harps bosses the rest of the half and emerged for the second half determined to hold onto their two goal cushion. The first incident of note in the 62nd minute could have resulted in another Harps goal when James Doherty drilled the ball straight at Cobh ‘keeper Shane Hallahan.Things took a turn for the worst for Cobh when Brendan Frahill received a second yellow card for a rash challenge which reduced the home side to ten men.Ramblers threw caution to the wind leaving just three at the back as the searched for a goal to get them back into the tie.But Cobh were seeing red once again and their exit from the competition when Roy Kenny was given a straight red after a bad tackle on James Doherty. Harps were cruising and substitute Paul McVeigh then got in on the goalscoring act.McVeigh latched onto a long kick-out form Ciaran Gallagher to find himself one-on-one with Hallahan whom he beat.Michael Funston, who has been having a great season for Harps, rounded off the evening by slotting home to make it 4-0 in the 90th minute after a good through ball from Josh Mailey.The league play-offs may be out of reach but Harps can still dream about the cup!HARPS RAMBLE TO CUP QUARTER FINAL WITH STYLISH DISPLAY was last modified: August 27th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cobh Ramblersfai cupfinn harpslast_img read more

Runs aplenty at Wanderers ‘pink-out’

first_imgWhen Smith put down Afridi off the bowling of Tsotsobe in the next over, one was left to wonder whether or not it was going to be Afridi’s and Pakistan’s day. Two balls later, he was out, caught off a full toss for a stunning 88 off only 48 balls, with five fours and seven sixes. Reasonable startPakistan then made a reasonable start to their run chase, reaching 97 for 1 in the 17th over before Mohammed Hafeez departed for an attacking 57 off only 49 balls, having struck six fours and three sixes. The fourth ODI takes place in Durban on Thursday, 17 March, and the fifth and final ODI will be played in Benoni on Sunday, 24 March. On the field, the action was fast-moving and big hitting as South Africa and Pakistan combined for 652 runs, including 19 sixes and 55 fours. SA victoryWahab Riaz fought hard, with a career best 45 off 52 balls, but he was the last man out at the start of the 48th over as Pakistan were dismissed for 309, giving South Africa victory by 34 runs. Mohammed Irfan stood out among Pakistan’s bowlers – and not just because of his 7ft height – with a haul of 2 for 34 in seven overs, while Wahab Riaz suffered, conceding 93 runs in his 10 overs, although he did remove claim the wickets of Amla and Du Plessis. The bottom line, though, was a South African victory and a two-one lead in the five-match one-day international series. Johannesburg’s Wanderers cricket stadium was pink all over on Sunday – the Proteas, the scoreboard, Castle Lager adverts and the fans – as the South African one-day international (ODI) team did its bit in the fight against breast cancer, with a world record thrown in for good measure during the third ODI against Pakistan. World record setters Amla and De Villiers shared the man of the match award. The inning stuttered after that as the Pakistanis slipped to 132 for 5, but the arrival of Shahid Afridi, the scorer of three of the seven fastest ODI centuries in history, gave the tourists hope as he took to the South African bowlers with relish. 11th ODI centuryAmla then departed, caught Misbah, bowled Wahab Riaz for a wonderful 122 off only 113 balls, with nine fours and a six. It was his 11th ODI century. Misbah was out with the total on 203 for 28, but Pakistan’s challenge depended on Afridi, not the skipper. Pakistan captain Misbah ul-Haq won the toss and elected to field and that seemed to be a decent enough decision when Graeme Smith was out for only three and Colin Ingram followed him for 17, with the total on 42 in the 14th over. Amla and De Villiers, however, along with a superb cameo innings from Faf du Plessis, made it look like an ill-advised decision. 18 March 2013 StarsHashim Amla and AB de Villiers, the world’s two top ranked ODI batsmen starred for the Proteas, while Shahid Afridi, the owner of the fastest ever ODI century, shone for Pakistan. Du Plessis, who was out with one ball left in the innings, added a quick-fire 45 off just 19 deliveries, including three sixes, to help South Africa to a big 343 for 5 in their 50 overs. De Villiers saw the score past 300 before he went, caught at deep mid-wicket by Shoaib Malik off the bowling of Saeed Ajmal for an immensely innovative and entertaining 128. His 14th ODI century included 12 four and three sixes. It made for an impressive spectacle as a world record attempt for “the most people wearing a single colour, in one venue, for a good cause” was pursued in support of the PinkDrive. As a fund-raiser, the day was a fantastic success, with R184 460 being raised. McLaren finished with 3 for 56 from nine overs, while Tsotsobe picked up three wickets too, but went for 74 runs. With McLaren having sent down a no ball, Afridi had a free hit, but the bowler bowled a wide. Afridi then caught the next delivery in the meat of his bat, in the arc, and launched a monsterous six onto the roof of the stadium! It’s difficult to imagine that the ground could have ever witnessed a bigger six. Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material Together, Amla and De Villiers put on a third wicket world record partnership of 238 in an enthralling 30.2 overs. That bettered by a single run the previous record of 237 put on by Indian greats Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid against Kenya in the 1999 World Cup. Game still on“Boom Boom” was going hard at the South African bowling and winning. His innings appeared over in the 35th over, though, when Ryan McLaren knocked over Afridi’s wickets. A check on the delivery, however, revealed that McLaren had overstepped. Afridi was called back and the game was still on.last_img read more