Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Rocky Point man was sentenced Wednesday to two years in prison for driving while high on heroin when he crashed head-on into another vehicle, seriously injuring a woman in Shoreham two years ago.Denis Karachopan had pleaded guilty in 2013 at Suffolk County court to charges of vehicular assault, operating a vehicle while impaired by drugs, heroin possession and failure to stay in lane.Police had said that the 24-year-old was driving his BMW westbound on Route 25A when he crossed into the opposite lane of traffic and hit an eastbound Nissan shortly after 11 a.m. Feb. 6, 2013.Investigators discovered heroin and drug paraphernalia in his vehicle. The victim suffered two broken legs and other injuries, but her then-3-week-old infant, who was also in the car, was not hurt.Prosecutors had recommended a six-year prison term for Karachopan.Judge Richard Ambro also sentenced Karachopan to three years of probation and suspended his driver’s license for six months.
There might not have been a winner in the presidential election on Tuesday night, but there was a winner in the financial markets: the Nasdaq 100 and tech stocks broadly.Futures contracts tied to the Nasdaq 100 index jumped as much as 4% in overnight trading on Tuesday amid a volatile trading session that saw Dow futures register a nearly 800-point swing from high to low. Through the whipsaws, the Nasdaq 100 remained the relative outperformer. – Advertisement – – Advertisement – The logo of Apple company is seen outside an Apple store in Bordeaux, France, March 22, 2019.Regis Duvignau | Reuters
Other experts said faulty tests may be playing a role, or remnants of the virus may still be in patients’ systems but not be infectious or of danger to the host or others.The 116 cases is more than double the 51 such cases South Korea reported a week earlier.South Korea plans to send 600,000 coronavirus testing kits to the United States on Tuesday in the first such shipment following a request from U.S. President Donald Trump, a Seoul official told Reuters on Monday.Government leaders, meanwhile, called on South Koreans to continue to follow guidelines and restrictions on social gatherings, but hinted that such measures could soon be eased. South Korea reported on Monday that at least 116 people initially cleared of the new coronavirus had tested positive again, although officials suggested they would soon look at easing strict recommendations aimed at preventing new outbreaks.South Korea reported only 25 new cases overall on Monday, but the rise in “reactivated” patients has raised concerns as the country seeks to stamp out infections.Officials are still investigating the cause of the apparent relapses. But Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), has said the virus may have been reactivated rather than the patients being re-infected. South Korea has called on residents to follow strict social distancing until at least April 19, but as cases have dropped and the weather has improved, a growing number of people have been flouting the guidelines.At a meeting on disaster management on Monday, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said the government would soon be looking to loosen the guidelines, which call for people to stay at home, avoid social gatherings of any type, and only go out for essential reasons.”Later this week, we plan to review our intensive social distancing campaign that we have carried out so far and discuss whether we will switch to routine safety measures” he said.Some local governments have imposed stricter measures, including closing bars and nightclubs, banning large demonstrations, and limiting church services.Chung cautioned that even when the restrictions are eased, the country will not return to life as before the outbreak.”We need a very cautious approach because any premature easing of social distancing could bring irreversible consequences, and have to ponder deeply about when and how we switch to the new system,” he said. Topics :
Read Also:Serie A: Red-hot Ronaldo sends Juve four points clearHowever there was no response from Marseille this time despite the return of star man Dimitri Payet from injury, and Nantes sealed the win in stoppage time in comical fashion.Steve Mandanda spilled Moses Simon’s shot to Bamba, who failed to control the rebound and instead sent it bouncing off the legs of unwitting Marseille defender Alvaro and into the net.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Marseille’s 14-match unbeaten run in Ligue 1 came to an end on Saturday after they fell to a surprise 3-1 home defeat by off-form Nantes.Advertisement Andre Villas-Boas’s second-placed side have put themselves in a strong position to qualify for the Champions League next season thanks to their hot streak but were downed by goals either side of half-time by Anthony Limbombe and Abdoul Kader Bamba and a late Alvaro own goal at the Stade Velodrome.They stay 11 points clear of third-placed Rennes, who host Nimes on Sunday, but Lille can move to within nine points of Marseille with a win over rock-bottom Toulouse later on Saturday.The defeat also means Paris Saint-Germain can move 13 points clear at the top if they beat Bordeaux at the Parc des Princes on Sunday. Nantes meanwhile climb to 10th, just three points from the European places, after bagging their first win in six league matches.Limbombe stunned the Velodrome when he stopped to head home Bamba’s cross in the 35th minute in what was the game’s first shot on target, but the hosts reacted positively to going a goal down and were level shortly after.First Nantes goalkeeper Alban Lafont was forced into a smart save from Valentin Rongier’s long-range drive a minute after Limbombe’s opener, but the Frenchman couldn’t stop Sanson’s curling effort three minutes later.The away side were back ahead again seven minutes after the break when Bamba pounced on Rongier losing the ball to curl home a stunning finish that was only confirmed as a goal after a long VAR check. Loading… Promoted Content7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better8 Best 1980s High Tech GadgetsPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyTop 10 Tiniest Phones Ever MadeBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made10 Legendary Historical Movies You Should See9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Who Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year
An Accra Fast Track Court has placed an injunction on the GFA’s presidential elections which is scheduled to come off on August 17.A legal practitioner, John Quayson, filed an ex-parte injunction application to halt all activities concerning the upcoming polls.Lawyer Quayson is seeking an interpretation as to why the district level elections and the regional level elections wouldn’t be held before the main FA presidential elections.Among the exhibits presented to support the injunction application was the calendar of the Football Association.The Ghana Football Association per the regulations has ten days to make an appearance to defend or otherwise prove why the injunction should not be renewed.The GFA opened nominations for the position of president on Monday ahead of the elections in Tamale next month. According to the election itinerary, interested persons have until Friday June 17 to fill and submit their forms to the Ghana FA secretariat of any of the Regional Football Association offices.–
1 Everton will have to switch their attentions elsewhere after reports in Italy claimed that Goran Pandev has signed a pre-contract agreement with Genoa.The former Inter Milan and Napoli striker will leave Galatasaray in the summer when his contract expires and Corriere Mercantile is reporting that he has agreed a two-year deal with Genoa.The news will come as a blow to Roberto Martinez, who was eyeing a move for the 31-year-old forward.Pandev has struggled to secure a regular first-team place at Galatasaray this season and is keen to get his career back on track in Italy. Goran Pandev
RB Salzburg star Szoboszlai admits his admiration for Liverpool boss Kloppby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveRed Bull Salzburg star Dominik Szoboszlai has admitted his admiration for Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp.Salzburg go to Champions League title holders Liverpool tonight.“Jurgen Klopp has opened a new chapter in the club’s history,” the teenager, who will be scouted by Arsenal at Anfield among other clubs,toldGoal.com.”They are great to watch and I am very much looking forward to facing them at Anfield.“It is a historically huge club – their dramatic win versus AC Milan (in the 2005 Champions League final) was definitely impressive.”Szoboszlai went on to hail the entire Reds squad, although he did single out one of Klopp’s forwards for special praise.“Their whole squad is great but (Roberto) Firmino is someone special,” he added. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Giggs raps Man Utd defender Rojo for Liverpool goalby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United legend Ryan Giggs has criticised Marcos Rojo for his role in Liverpool’s late equaliser on Sunday.The Englishman was free to tap-in the ball from close range after being allowed space by Rojo.”[Aaron] Wan-Bissaka has not played a lot of games, maybe if he was a little bit fitter and sharper he would have got out quicker,’ Giggs told Optus Sport.”But for Rojo to actually go past [Harry] Maguire is strange. If he holds his position maybe he can clear it. ‘Ash [Young] never really gets goal-side.”But if you watch Rojo he just anticipates where the ball is going to be instead of staying with his man.”I think it’s a poor goal to give away. But Liverpool, for that five and ten minutes, were knocking at the door and there you see Robertson crossing the ball a lot further up the pitch.”Where for the majority of the game, him and Trent Alexander-Arnold were crossing the ball from 40, 45 yards out.”
August 5 is a historic day for the country as the Modi government had scrapped Article 370 and Article 35A pertaining to Jammu and Kashmir in one stroke. A complex issue, which many prime ministers had been grappling with unsuccessfully for the past 70 years, Prime Minister Modi has resolved it boldly within the first 100 days in his second term. As a bureaucrat friend remarked with half a page Presidential order and four hours of debate and discussion in the Rajya Sabha, Jammu and Kashmir as a state disappeared and in its place emerged two Union territories—Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. The political reason for clubbing Jammu and Kashmir might be to make the state a Hindu majority gradually. Also Read – A special kind of bondPolitically, Modi emerges much stronger. Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah get kudos for the bloodless coup. “We reiterate our position since the time of the Jan Sangh to the abrogation of Article 370,” reads the BJP’s ‘Sankalp Patra’ for Lok Sabha elections 2019. Articles 35A and Article 370, among other issues, including national security, nationalism and terrorism had become major election issues. Interestingly, the Congress Party had promised in its manifesto that nothing will be done or allowed to change the constitutional position on Kashmir. Now that the BJP is heading the strongest government at the Centre in 30 years after having secured a massive majority of its own in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, there was pressure from the RSS and the VHP for repeal. Also Read – Insider threat managementArticle 370 of the Constitution grants special status to Jammu and Kashmir, while Article 35A empowers the state legislature to define the state’s “permanent residents” and their special rights and privileges. It also bars a Kashmiri woman from getting any property rights if she marries a person outside the state. Modi-Shah duo took everyone by surprise by planning the whole operation in complete secrecy. The opposition complains that there were no consultations with stakeholders. In fact, while the bill was brought to the House, the two former chief ministers–PDP chief Mehboobha Mufti and the National Conference leader Omar Abdullah–were kept under house arrest in Srinagar. Getting the bill passed in the Rajya Sabha where the ruling party is in a minority was indeed a feat for the treasury benches. Congress feels outfoxed. Modi’s success in the Upper House was also due to the division in the opposition ranks. Many opposition parties like the BJD, TRS, YSRCP, BSP and AAP sided with the government isolating Congress, Trinamool Congress and a few other parties. However, all regional parties of the state, including the National Conference (NC), Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Jammu and Kashmir People’s Movement (J&KPM) and others opposed the measure. Now that Parliament has endorsed the proposal, managing the aftermath is the challenge ahead. Modi believes that the measure would solve the Kashmir problem and bring peace and prosperity to the state. While there are no immediate signs of violence in Jammu and Kashmir as massive forces have been deployed, it is too soon to dismiss any trouble. The genie is out of the bottle and it is not known whether it will turn uncontrollable. There are some who fear it might turn out to be another Palestine. Secondly, the state has been degraded but has the government thought of an economic plan for the development of these two UTs? As Amit Shah had noted in his speech in Parliament while presenting the bills, crores of rupees have been sent to the state for development but it never reached the people. The economic plan is a must for the future and the government is yet to disclose it. Thirdly, Pakistan too must have been taken by surprise by this coup. Enthused by the good reception Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan received in the US recently with promises of more aid to bail out its economy, the Pakistani establishment is upbeat. Encouraged by all these, it cannot be ruled out that Pakistan might instigate some violence in Kashmir. Also, Valley is vulnerable to Taliban and other terror organisations like Al Qaeda and ISIS. There is also the danger of more homegrown terrorism and the emergence of more Burhan Wanis. Pakistan might also take it to the United Nations as Kashmir can no longer be on the agenda and also seek US intervention. Above all, most Kashmiris in the valley feel betrayed. The state government and the Centre must do everything to assuage their feeling of alienation and fill up the trust deficit. Bringing normalcy in the valley should be the top priority. Overall, while doubts may linger about the response from the Valley, Modi has earned huge political capital by this measure. If the Apex court gives a green signal by November, BJP is ready to build the Ram temple in Ayodhya too. There are many who believe that if elections were held tomorrow, Modi might even beat Rajiv Gandhi’s record of getting 405 seats in 1984. (The views expressed are strictly personal)
New Delhi: Money should not dominate the process of creating music, says music producer Nucleya. The 38-year-old EDM star, whose real name is Udyan Sagar, said even though he understands the business side of the entertainment industry, it is important to let the creative minds fly free. “When somebody is investing crores in a movie they have to figure out a way to be able to make that money back. I understand that from an investor’s perspective. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka “But making music is a creative process, which means you have to leave it to creative people to come up with a good tune. This power should not be stripped away from them,” Nucleya told PTI in a telephonic interview from Mumbai. The artiste, known for his party tracks like “Bass Rani”, “Laung Gawacha”, “Jind Mahi” and “Mirza”, believes at times musicians are pushed into following a trend which stops them from exploring new ideas. “If one formula, like remixes, clicks then everybody jumps on that. They don’t understand that overdoing it is going to kill the whole thing. Also Read – Salman Khan remembers actor Vinod Khanna “There are so many creative people within the music industry, be it composers, writers or singers, all we need is to give them creative freedom and let them create something beautiful. The musicians in the industry at times don’t have this power.” Nucleya believes the restrictions in the film industry has resulted in the rise of the live, independent music scene as both the performers and the audience get an opportunity to delve into something new. “The moment you move out of this business, you find unbelievable talent because then there is no one to tell you what to do and what not to. That is why independent music in live circuit is growing immensely,” he added. Nucleya said as someone who has never functioned as per the profit-loss principle, his aim is to promote the same idea by helping new talent to grow freely. This is what made the “Paintra” artiste join rap reality show “MTV Hustle” as a mentor, along with Raja Kumari and Raftaar. It started airing on August 10. “I realised the show is also trying to able to push forward the originality of an artiste as compared to other reality shows where a particular contestant is asked to sing an already popular song by some other artiste. I believe this subconsciously puts budding artistes in a creative cage. “In this show, the artiste is free to sing, write and compose a song the way they want to. We are requesting them to be as original as possible,” he added. Talking about the increasing popularity of rap in India, Nucleya said the shift came when Indian rappers realised they can create songs in their mother tongue. “The majority of the audience still doesn’t understand rap or hip-hop songs in English. We are just a few of them who understand the English songs. “I believe the turning point in Indian hip-hop scene came around seven years ago when Indian artistes realised they can rap in Hindi or their mother tongue. This resulted in the increase in the audience,” he said.