China, Egypt report new H5N1 cases

first_imgMar 28, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – China announced today that a 16-year-old boy died of H5N1 avian influenza, and yesterday Egypt reported that a 46-year-old woman had tested positive for the disease, according to news services.Officials in China said the boy is from Bengbu in eastern Anhui province, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported. China’s health ministry told Xinhua, the state news agency, that the boy got sick Mar 17 and was hospitalized the following day and that surgical treatment was unsuccessful, the AFP report said. If the boy’s case is confirmed by the WHO, he will be listed as China’s 24th case-patient and 15th fatality.Media reports have not said if the boy had contact with infected birds. Local health authorities told AFP that no bird outbreaks have been reported in the boy’s town and that his close contacts have so far shown no symptoms of the disease, AFP reported.In Egypt, the health ministry reported that the 46-year-old woman who tested positive for H5N1 is from the northern Nile delta city of Damnhour, about 80 miles north of Cairo, the Associated Press (AP) reported. Few details were available about her illness, though health officials said the woman and other recent H5N1 patients contracted the virus from domestic birds, the AP report said.If the WHO confirms the woman’s case, she will be listed at Egypt’s 30th case-patient. Her case is the country’s 12th reported this year.Also today, the WHO confirmed two other Egyptian cases that were reported earlier yesterday, involving a 6-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy. Both were hospitalized on Mar 25, had contact with infected birds, and remain in stable condition, according to the WHO report.The 6-year-old girl is from the southern province of Qena, and the 5-year-old boy is from Menia province in central Egypt.In Indonesia, the Jakarta Post reported today that a 40-year-old man who had tested positive for H5N1 died in Surabaya, capital of East Java. Yesterday an AFP story had listed the Surabaya patient as a 39-year-old.See also:Mar 28 WHO statementlast_img read more

Spike in virus cases lead to Cebu City’s ECQ return

first_imgMANILA – The continued increase in numbers of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases has forced President Rodrigo Duterte to shift Cebu City back to enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) at least until the end of the month.Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said other factors considered in the move was the widespread community transmission there, consistent case doubling rate and significant increase in critical care utilization against critical care capacity.“Cebu City lacks the beds for critical patients. They have exceeded the numbers of COVID-19 cases in Quezon City,” Roque said in an interview with CNN Philippines’ The Source.“‘Yung mga lugar na binalik sa ECQ at MECQ ay masyado pang mataas ang case doubling rate at nasa danger zone din ang kanilang mga critical care capacity,” he added.The Palace spokesperson also said with the ECQ move, public transportation is banned and non-essential shops and businesses are closed, while non-essential travels by residents are also prohibited.“Inaasahan natin na kahit papaano ay mabibigyan ng ayuda ang mga taga-Cebu [City] dahil hindi sila puwede magtrabaho muli,” he added.Roque also said that it was also for the same reason that the Inter Agency Task Force for the Management of the Emerging Infectious Disease has recommended Talisay City in Cebu province’s shift to modified enhanced community quarantine.Meanwhile, Cebu City mayor Edgardo Labella said the spike in its cases of the respiratory disease was due to massive testing as they will ask the national government to ease its coronavirus lockdown to help its economy recover from the pandemic.Labella said in an interview with DZMM Teleradyo that his city has tested some 25,000 people since March and confirmed 3,434 cases of COVID-19 as of Saturday.Of the total number of patients, 1,858 or about 54.10 percent had recovered, which is higher than the national recovery rate of about 22 percent. The city tallied 37 deaths due to the disease, which translates to a fatality rate of 1.08 percent.“Massive testing is the best way to fight this invisible enemy and Cebu City will never stop this measure even if this pushes the case count up,” said Labella./PNlast_img read more