Redshirt freshman Curt Phillips is still fighting for his spot on the depth chart.[/media-credit]While University of Wisconsin head football coach Bret Bielema said he will not release a depth chart for at least another two weeks, the constantly discussed quarterback position is down to two contenders if Saturday’s spring game provided any indication.After the Cardinal team’s first-stringers dominated the White squad’s second stringers — 48-7 by actual scoring and 56-20 with spring scoring rules — fifth-year senior Dustin Sherer and redshirt freshman Curt Phillips have established themselves as the leading candidates for the starting position come the fall.Though Sherer’s experience may eventually land him the job, his five years with the program has led to greater expectations.“Someone asked what does Dustin have to do (to earn the starting position), and he has to be better than the rest by a significant amount,” Bielema said. “I mean he is a fifth-year player, he is a guy who started for half a season. During the course of spring ball there were certain things that popped up that just weren’t there. On the same chord, Dustin has done a lot of good things. I think if you look at Dustin where he is today, and where he was a year ago, he is significantly better.”Sherer flashed both his talent and some of the mistakes Bielema talked about Saturday afternoon. Though the senior completed six of nine passes for 101 yards and a touchdown, he also threw an interception on an out-route that linebacker Tony Megna returned for a touchdown.“Well it is a big play,” Bielema said about Sherer’s interception. “The one thing I know we took out of our spring’s of the past, is we cannot beat ourselves before the snap or by unforced errors … you cannot have those situations, especially out of a fifth year player.”For his part, Sherer came away mostly pleased with his performance despite the pick-six.“I thought I played pretty well,” Sherer said. “I threw a pick and you can’t throw picks, but overall I thought I played alright.”Pushing Sherer for the No. 1 spot on the depth chart is the young Phillips. After being named the offensive scout team player of the year last fall, Phillips has continued to grow this spring. Given all his reps with the No. 1 offense Saturday, the redshirt freshman completed 10 of 16 passes for 122 yards and two touchdowns.“[Curt] is a lot further along right now (than last spring),” Bielema said. “At one of those earlier practices I asked, ‘How is this year different than last year?’ And he said, ‘Coach, I was saying words in the huddle and I didn’t even know what they meant.’ He is much further along understanding what we are doing offensively.”Particularly encouraging for Bielema was the way Phillips threw the ball. Known for his ability to scramble — Phillips finished with 36 yards rushing and he added a touchdown on the ground — the Tennessee native showed some poise in the pocket and had a long completion of 41 yards.“Our plan going in was to get [Curt] in there as soon as we could with the ‘ones’,” Bielema said. “And let him have the benefit of a good solid offensive line in front of him, to get a little continuity. I like the fact that he threw a couple strikes … I think that gave a little bit of an indication where he is as a quarterback.”Whoever starts in the fall, improved play from the wide receiver corps would go a long way to helping what was often an anemic passing attack last season. According to Bielema, the top four receivers are firmly set with Kyle Jefferson, Nick Toon, David Gilreath and Isaac Anderson.“In particular, you look at our wide receivers and I just like the work and the progress they made,” Bielema said. “Kyle Jefferson made a strong finish this last week after kind of struggling a week ago. And that comes from just getting reps.”Besides impressive play from Phillips, the offensive star of the scrimmage was junior running back Zach Brown. Playing behind John Clay and P.J. Hill last season, Brown saw his carries decrease by 64 from his freshman year. With the added reps as the No. 2 back, Brown ran for a workman-like 110 yards on 14 carries Saturday.“We have to score points when we are out there,” Brown said. “Instead of settling for three we have to get the seven.”
18 May 2015Global and African chief executive officers will launch an exclusive continental business network for Africa’s regional infrastructure development on 1 June, on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum (WEF) on Africa.WEF on Africa takes place in Cape Town from 3 to 5 June.Infrastructure is Africa’s top priority, according to the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (Nepad), one of the drivers of the Continental Business Network. With low levels of intra-regional economic exchange and the smallest share of global trade, Africa is the least integrated continent in the world.Nepad says infrastructure inefficiencies are costing Africa billions of dollars annually and are stunting growth. Bridging the gap in infrastructure is thus vital for economic advancement and sustainable development. However, this can only be achieved through regional and continental co-operation and solution finding.The Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (Pida), sponsored by the African Union Commission, Nepad Agency, African Development Bank, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa and regional economic communities, is Africa’s solution. It will work through building mutually beneficial infrastructure and strengthening the ability of countries to trade and establish regional value chains for increased competitiveness.In June 2014, under the leadership of Senegalese President Macky Sall, the chairman of the Nepad Heads of State and Government Orientation Committee, the Dakar Financing Summit for Africa’s Infrastructure delivered a robust and upbeat declaration, the Dakar Agenda for Action. It unpacks how the continent’s public sector will partner with the private sector and development players to ensure financing and investment for 16 key Pida regional infrastructure projects.The Dakar Agenda for Action outlines concrete actions and measures towards financing for Africa’s infrastructure development.The private sector and African policy makers also recognised that the lack of capacity and funds in project preparation combined with a weak involvement of the private sector were the main issues causing bottlenecks to Pida implementation.As an outcome of the Dakar summit, the Nepad Agency and the Pida stakeholders have taken the lead in addressing these challenges by launching the Continental Business Network.The network is an exclusive infrastructure investment advisory platform for African leaders, providing thought leadership and engagement on a range of strategic issues such as policy, investment risk ratings, project structuring and specifically the existing constraints to the implementation of Pida projects.The network will comprise leading African and global business and finance bodies as well as regional and international organisations.Source: Nepad
john paul titlow If all goes according to plan, ads on Twitter are about to get a lot more relevant to the people that see them. That’s the idea behind the interest-targeted ad system the company has been testing. Having presumably ironed out the kinks, Twitter has just rolled the feature out to all of its advertisers. Previously, when Twitter displayed a promoted tweet or trending topic, it didn’t take into account whether or not that ad is relevant or useful to a given user.How Facebook Targets AdsFor years, advertisers on Facebook have had the ability to target ads very granularly based not only on demographic data and life events, but on specific interests held by users. The result, is many cases, is advertising that’s sometimes eerily accurate and relevant to users’ lives. Twitter is now adopting similar functionality as part of its quest to monetize its growing microblogging service. But Twitter isn’t Facebook. On the world’s biggest social network, users explicitly declare their interests on their profiles and through clicking “like” buttons woven throughout the Web and apps everywhere. Twitter doesn’t have the luxury of such detailed user data, so it must employ other means to target its ads. The concept of interest-based advertising isn’t new, but it is evolving thanks to the social Web. From the outset, Google has monetized its search engine based on people’s interests. Early on, users declared those interests on a case-by-case basis by typing in a search query, which Google used to display targeted text link ads. Over time, search advertising has evolved to become more targeted and personalized, as have the competing social advertising models that have cropped up since the early days of Google. How Twitter Targets AdsTwitter offers 350 categories of interests from Bollywood movies to gardening. Since users don’t specify their interests on their profile, those interests must be gleaned from such things as what they say, who they follow and other user activity. Twitter doesn’t elaborate on how it all works, but we wouldn’t be surprised if things like favorited tweets weren’t factored into the algorithm it’s using.To get more granular, advertisers can specify @usernames of users. Rather than target these people specifically, Twitter will attempt to show ads to users who share interests with those who follow them. The example the company uses is an indie rock band that wants to promote its upcoming tour on Twitter. To do so, the band can use this feature to list similar acts on Twitter and target people with like-minded taste in music. Again, Twitter isn’t forthcoming about how that will work, but hopefully it has a way of filtering out pornbots and ghost followers. Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro… The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit Tags:#twitter#web Related Posts
Kolkata: The state Water Resources Investigation & Development (WRI&D) department is bringing in more focus realigning the various schemes in connection with the “Jal Dharo Jal Bharo” project. The move comes in the wake of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee expressing her concern over depletion of the groundwater level and stressing on water conservation. The government is now contemplating a clear-cut delineation of roles of the various departments involved in water resource management. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaThe department of WRI&D will be the nodal department but departments like Irrigation, Agriculture and Public Health and Engineering will have specified functions in water conservation. The WRI& D department has taken up schemes linked to water conservation in a total area of 1,45000 acres land with an emphasis on the red laterite zone that comprises districts including Bankura, Jhargram, Purulia, West Midnapore, West Burdwan and parts of Birbhum. The water level is extremely low in these zones and water extraction is very difficult. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayAccording to sources, as many as 13,945 schemes have been taken up for the last eight years since 2011 in the red laterite zones. 900 water harvesting tanks have been set up and 287 check dams have been built for water storage. 141 of these schemes are solar-powered. There are 12,600 other types of schemes that involve river lift irrigation, tubewells etc. A total of 3,600 schemes are being run under the World Bank aid which is popularly known as West Bengal Accelerated Development of Minor Irrigation. The “Jal Dharo Jal Bharo” project received a boost with the Chief Minister’s “Jaltirtha” project, a signature enterprise for the red laterite zone that was initiated in 2015. Water detention structures like ponds, tanks, rivulets have been created to hold water and steps have been taken so that it does not evaporate. “Till date, we have been doing comparatively simpler schemes in palpably visible areas. Now, we have started doing a detailed survey using a differential GPS system to identify locations with cent percent accuracy where we can create an infrastructure of water detention,” a senior official of the WRI&D department said. The department has created 995 structures like watersheds, check dams under “Jaltirtha” of which 176 have come up in Bankura, 57 in Birbhum, 75 in Jhargram, 427 in Purulia and 224 in West Midnapore. The project is also underway in the saline zones, particularly in pockets of the Sunderbans that involve both South and North 24-Parganas,” a senior official of the department added.
Advertisement Twitter Login/Register With: Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement “They need guidance. They need leadership,” Nezet-Seguin said Thursday. “If this can be something to stabilize the future, my advanced presence, then I’m happy to provide this.”He gave up European guest conducting next January and will lead 17 performances next season, adding a revival of Debussy’s “Pelleas et Melisande” to his previous commitment of a new production of Verdi’s “La Traviata” and a revival of Poulenc’s “Dialogues des Carmelites.” He will conduct three operas in 2019-20, then at least five each season starting in 2020-21.“I think he realizes how important it is for the Met to have a music director who can also handle the important decision-making that only a musical director from a contractual point of view can do in terms of tenured positions in the orchestra,” Met General Manager Peter Gelb said. “This obviously has not been the easiest time for the company with the news about maestro Levine, so it will be very comforting and reassuring to the orchestra and the chorus to know his tenure is starting earlier than originally planned.”Nezet-Seguin turns 43 next month and represents a generation change. He felt an impetus to move up the timetable after returning to the Met last spring for the first time since appointment.“I became even more eager to get started with the orchestra and the chorus and the music staff, seeing and feeling they needed the leadership at that moment,” he said.Gelb said the Met’s investigation of Levine is getting “very, very close to its conclusion.” Levine, who turns 75 in June, is not scheduled to conduct next season.While Levine helped raise the Met orchestra to among the world’s best in the 1980s and ’90s, his physical ability started to deteriorate in 2001, when he began to conduct from a chair. Tremors in his left arm and leg became noticeable in 2004, and his health worsened with shoulder and kidney surgery followed by three back operations. His frequent absences led to orchestra players feeling a lack of direction, and many left. An improved relationship with the orchestra and other unions could be significant heading into labor negotiations this summer, when the Met is expected to ask for permission to schedule regular Sunday performances for the first time.“As fellow musicians excited by Yannick’s vision for the future, it is our hope that the Met’s inspired investment in his brilliance underscores its commitment to the musical artists and artistry that are the lifeblood of the Met Opera,” Jessica Phillips, a clarinetist who chairs the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra Committee, said in a statement.Next season will have just four new productions, the fewest for the financially challenged Met since 2005-06. Gelb said the reduction was due to the need for stage time to rehearse a revival of Robert Lepage’s controversial staging of Wagner’s four-part Ring Cycle in the spring of 2019. Paris Opera music director Philippe Jordan leads a cast that stars Christine Goerke as Bruennhilde.Darko Tresnjak’s new staging of Saint-Saens’ “Samson et Dalila” opens the season Sept. 24. Nico Muhly’s “Marnie” gets its North American premiere Oct. 19 conducted by Robert Spano in his Met debut. Michael Mayer directs “La Traviata,” which opens Dec. 4, and the last new production is David McVicar’s staging of Cilea’s “Adriana Lecouvreur,” opening New Year’s Eve with Gianandrea Noseda conducting a cast led by Anna Netrebko.Acclaimed Los Angeles Philharmonic music director Gustavo Dudamel makes his Met debut Dec. 14 in Verdi’s “Otello.” Gelb said Lepage’s “Ring” set with its giant planks starts a three-month remediation next week at a warehouse in Middletown, New York, to get “back in fighting shape.” The set will be reprogrammed to make movements quieter.The ticket price range remains unchanged at $25-$480. Paid percentage of box office realized is in the upper 60 percent range this season, Gelb said, the same as last year. Gelb said the Met is considering collaborating with other institutions in New York to present a “chamber-sized opera in a more appropriate venue other than the Met.”Nezet-Seguin is moving forward with plans for the Met premieres of the French versions of Verdi’s operas that premiered in Paris plus contemporary projects. Advertisement NEW YORK (AP) — Yannick Nezet-Seguin will become the Metropolitan Opera’s music director next season, two years earlier than planned, providing a leader to an orchestra fighting drift and defections for more than a decade.Nezet-Seguin’s appointment was announced in June 2016, two months after Parkinson’s disease caused the end of James Levine’s 40-year run. The company announced Nezet-Seguin would start a five-year contract in 2020-21 after three seasons as music director designate.Levine became music director emeritus but was suspended in December following multiple allegations of sexual misconduct from the 1960s to ’80s.
APTN National NewsA report by a Mi’kmaq scholar denounces the controversial Mother Canada statue.The statue is part of a war memorial proposed for a National Park in Cape Breton, N.S.Critics say the statue will pave over a pristine part of the Cape Breton Highlands.The Mi’kmaq say it will also pave over Aboriginal rights and title.APTN’s Trina Roache has the story.
Pipeline stock sitting on rail cars. (APTN file)The Canadian PressThe National Energy Board says Canada’s existing export pipelines are running at maximum efficiency and the only way to realistically get more oil to market on pipelines is to build more of them.The board responded Friday to questions posed last fall by Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi, who wanted to know if there was any way to improve the efficiency of pipelines while Canada struggles to expand or get new ones built.Put simply, the board says, the amount of oil Canada is producing has increased while the number of pipelines to carry it has not.The report says moving more oil by rail is also not a “perfect substitute” because doing so is more expensive and complex.It also tells Sohi that while there is room to streamline the system used by oil producers to get access to pipeline space, doing so would only reallocate existing capacity, rather than create more.Sohi’s request to the board came last fall as Canadian oil prices plunged thanks to temporary refinery closures in the Midwest, creating a price differential with the U.S. of $50 per barrel.That price gap has since closed to less than $10 a barrel after refineries came back online and the Alberta government imposed a mandatory drop in production.