Calls to the Charity Commission will cost less Howard Lake | 14 September 2005 | News The Charity Commission has changed its main contact number so that callers will pay only a local rate.The new number is 0845 3000 218. Previously the 200,000 or so callers who contacted the Commission each year were charged at national rate. Minicom users can contact the Commission on 0845 3000 219. Calls to the former number will be automatically redirected.Nick Allaway, responsible for information and corporate services at the Charity Commission, said: “This is the latest in a series of changes since the Charity Commission began a review of its activities late last year. Since then, we’ve been working to steadily improve the services we provide to our customers, and ensure that these are responsive and accessible.” Advertisement 30 total views, 2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis About Howard Lake Howard Lake is a digital fundraising entrepreneur. Publisher of UK Fundraising, the world’s first web resource for professional fundraisers, since 1994. Trainer and consultant in digital fundraising. Founder of Fundraising Camp and co-founder of GoodJobs.org.uk. Researching massive growth in giving.
Advertisement WhatsApp Facebook Previous articleLiam Cunningham calls on the people of Limerick to support the world’s poorest communities this ChristmasNext articleLimerick sisters are sending huggs all around the world Meghann Scully WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick LimerickNewsColaiste Nano Nagle leading the way for girls in STEM – preparations underway for Teen-Turn’s SciFest 2020By Meghann Scully – December 11, 2020 118 Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener TAGSColaiste Nano NagleKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostSTEM RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Linkedin COLAISTE Nano Nagle, Limerick is among a select number of schools represented in Teen-Turn’s SciFest 2020 on Saturday 12th December.Teen-turn works with girls from all over the country offering hands-on STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Maths) experience and encouraging girls to visualise themselves working in STEM. Teen-Turn focuses on providing opportunities in STEM for girls from disadvantaged and underrepresented communities.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Teen-Turn’s Project Squad, a 12 week after school programme has been running since September allowing girls to work with mentors from Accenture, Dell, MSD and others to develop a SciFest project. The goal is for these projects to progress in the SciFest national competition and to the BT Young Scientist and Technology Exhibition.This year 29 girls from across Ireland will compete and showcase the scientific work they have done over the past number of months. Many of these girls would not have had the opportunity to develop their STEM skills before getting involved with Teen-Turn and they have discovered a new and exciting talent.An app that teaches Irish sign language on the go, a 3D printed watch to help elderly people take their medication and an app to help those who are not fluent in English to fill out government forms, are just three of the amazing projects entered in this year’s Teen-Turn SciFest which will take place on Saturday 12th December.SciFest judge and Teen-Turn Trustee, Aoife Carragher said“As a judge, I have been blown away by the standard of entries at Teen-Turn’s SciFest. It is inspiring to see the ideas that girls from all communities and backgrounds can develop with the right support and encouragement. I am sure that this year’s entrants will not disappoint.”Nicole Ryan, Teen-Turn spokesperson added “2020 has been a very strange year for us all, but especially for young people. Taking part in Project Squad and working on Teen-Turn SciFest projects has been brilliant for the girls, many of whom have used Covid as inspiration for their projects.”“This year’s SciFest is completely online and will take place on Saturday 12th December. Participants will have a virtual booth where they can display their work and where they will meet the judges to discuss their projects.” Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Email
Cantero joins the Supreme Court August 1, 2002 Gary Blankenship Senior Editor Regular News Cantero joins the Supreme Court Senior EditorMiami appellate attorney Raoul G. Cantero III has been named to the Florida Supreme Court by Gov. Jeb Bush to replace Justice Major Harding, who retires August 31.And while he said no “litmus test” questions were asked of Cantero or any of the other four finalists for the post, Bush used the press conference, held on the west side of the Capitol with the Supreme Court in the background, to question what he called an activist judiciary.While he did not mention the Florida Supreme Court by name in his prepared remarks, in responding to reporters’ questions Bush did say he thinks Florida’s top court has overstepped its bounds in some cases.In introducing Cantero, who was born to Cuban parents in Spain and who moved to Miami at the age of nine months, Bush noted he becomes the first Hispanic named to the Supreme Court and touted his reputation as “one of the finest appellate advocates in the state.”“I greatly admire and respect this governor and what he has done for this state,” Cantero said.“And I respect Justice Harding and what he has done. I don’t think I can ever replace him, and I certainly don’t look good in a bow tie,” he added with a smile, referring the Harding’s sartorial trademark.Cantero was asked about his ability to separate court business from his personal views, particularly on abortion, because 13 years ago he wrote a letter to the editor opposing the practice.“My personal view on any particular issue will not keep me from applying the law,” he replied.Although he criticized judicial activism, Bush emphasized that his interviews of Cantero and the other finalists did not deal with any specific issue or pending cases but revolved around qualifications.“If personal views dictate how they [judges] rule, that’s troubling,” Bush said. “My belief is the judiciary should show restraint.”He said he was also pleased to appoint the first Hispanic to the Supreme Court and that it continued his practice of appointing people of diverse backgrounds to the bench and other state posts.“The significance of this appointing is not that Raoul will in some sense represent the views of Hispanics on the court,” the governor said, adding there is no such thing as one Hispanic view. “That is not the role of a judge. Raoul’s achievement is important because it proves that service on our state’s highest court is open to men and women of excellence from all backgrounds.”After the press conference, while reporters were still questioning Bush as he walked back into the Capitol, Cantero, his wife Ana Maria, sons Christian, 12, and Michael, 9, and daughter Elisa, 7, walked across the street to the Supreme Court, where they were received with hugs by Chief Justice Harry Lee Anstead.As this News went to press, his investiture ceremony had not been scheduled, according to court spokesman Craig Waters. He added those events usually take a couple of months to set up.While saying that issues did not play a part in his choice, Bush did say, “This is a chance for me to make an impact on the state,” and he noted if retained by voters, Cantero could serve almost 30 years on the bench.And in his introductory remarks, Bush said courts must protect freedoms, but also show restraint and they must respect the other branches of government. He praised the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling upholding school vouchers, including to religious schools, and criticized the now-famous Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling on the Pledge of Allegiance, and said those were examples that illustrated good and poor judicial restraint.“The courts can make decisions that endanger the institutions and customs that hold us together,” the governor said of the Pledge of Allegiance case. “Increasingly, courts have seized control over policy decisions that are not theirs to make.. . . “I do not know of any Floridians or Americans who have consented to government by judiciary.”When questioned by reporters later, Bush conceded “there are not bright lines that separate” the duties of the various branches of government. But he specifically included the Florida Supreme Court in his comments, saying, “There is a sense this Supreme Court does not adhere to judicial restraint.”As an example, he cited the Armstrong case where the court, in a 4-3 ruling, struck down a constitutional amendment on the death penalty that had been approved by voters almost two years earlier. The court majority said the legislatively approved ballot summary language was misleading.Although he criticized the court as a whole, Bush opened his prepared comments with praise for Harding, who has served on the court since 1990 and as a judge since 1968.“Justice Harding is a particularly beloved figured and he will be hard to replace,” the governor said.He also praised the qualifications of the other finalists — First Circuit Judge Kenneth Bell, Second District Court of Appeal Judge Chris Altenbernd, and First DCA Judges Philip Padovano and Peter Webster — chosen with Cantero by the Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission.