Commentators told to pronounce Pacific rugby players’ names correctly

first_imgNRL education and wellbeing manager Nigel Vagana told Radio Australia’s Pacific Beat the onus is on commentators and broadcast networks to educate themselves.”It should be a given for any person that your name is said properly, whether you’re in the NRL or not. It’s a sign of respect,” the former player said.”From an NRL perspective we have the capacity to put pressure on these media outlets to at least acknowledge the damage they’re doing to some of these individuals and communities when [names] aren’t said correctly.”If that isn’t taken seriously or it doesn’t improve, then we’ve got to look at more drastic measures to make sure it does.”New Zealand’s Pacific Islands Media Association said it complained to Australia’s Fox Sports about alleged mispronunciations after its broadcast of the Pacific Rugby League Internationals earlier this month.Fox Sports has declined to comment.’It’s definitely insulting’Mr Vagana said he believed broadcasters were getting better at getting names right, but he understood why Polynesian and Melanesian communities can be aggrieved if they hear mistakes.”I think it’s definitely insulting when somebody doesn’t say your name correctly, regardless of what your background is,” he said.”Whether it’s malicious or racist, that’s the opinion that some people have. For me personally, I don’t think it’s that’s way.”I think it’s probably more ignorance, if anything, and lack of exposure to opportunities to be able to be educated on correct pronunciations.”He said the NRL includes phonetic pronunciation of players’ names in media guides and he invites commentators to approach him if they are unsure.”There are a couple of commentators in the past few years that have contacted me directly when they’re umm-ing and aah-ing about a certain Polynesian name,” he said.”We talk it through and then they go off on their merry way.”Mr Vagana said believed a simple solution is for NRL clubs to include audio pronunciations on player profiles on their websites, where it would be “accessible to anyone and everyone”.last_img read more

Easter egg hunts hop into area

first_imgThe Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation Department will hold an egg hunt for children 14 and younger from noon to 2p.m. Sunday at Stephen Sorenson Park, 16801 E. Ave. P. There will be prizes given for best bonnet and finding the gold and silver eggs, games and a visit from the Easter Bunny. Lancaster will hold its annual Egg Hunt Eggstravaganza for children 9 and younger beginning at 9:30a.m. April7 at Lancaster City Park’s Big 8 Softball Complex, 43011 10th St. W. The event will feature children’s entertainment and Polaroid photos taken with the Easter Bunny for $3. Children can redeem the eggs they find for a bag of surprises. The hunt times are 9:30a.m. for infants to 1-year-olds on softball Field No.1; 9:50a.m. for 2-year-olds on Field No.2; 10:10a.m. for 3-year-olds on Field No.3; 10:30a.m. for 4- and 5-year-olds on Field No.4; 10:50a.m. for 6-year-olds on Field No.1; 11:10a.m. for 7-year-olds on Field No.2; and 11:30a.m. for 8- and 9-year-olds on Field No.1. Adults will be allowed to accompany infants and children up to 5 years old. George Lane Park will hold an egg hunt for children 12 and younger from 9a.m. to noon April7 at the park, 5520 W. Ave. L-8. The egg hunt begins at 10a.m. There also will be a jelly bean contest, games and prizes. Children can get a nickel from the Veterans of Foreign Wars table for each egg they find. Egg hunts also will be held April7 at Pearblossom Park in Pearblossom, 33922 121st St. E., and Everett Martin Park in Littlerock, 35548 N. 92nd St. E. Pearblossom’s event will run from 10a.m. to noon, and Everett Martin’s from 1to 3p.m. Volunteers are needed and are asked to call (661) 944-2988. The Littlerock Chamber of Commerce will be giving out prize baskets at the Everett Martin event. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PALMDALE – Egg-citing times are approaching as the Easter egg-hunting season begins this weekend. Palmdale will hold its annual Children’s Springfest and Egg Hunt from 10a.m. to 2p.m. Saturday at Pelona Vista Park, 445 W. Ave. R-8. The event will feature egg hunts for children, kiddie rides, pony rides, a petting zoo, face painting and, at noon, “Silly Wabbit” lawn games. In addition, photographs with the Easter Bunny, spring craft projects and surprise attraction rides will be offered at a cost of $1 to $3. The schedule for the egg hunts: 10a.m. for children 4 and younger; 10:20a.m. for children 5 and 6; 10:40a.m. for children 7 to 9; 11a.m. for children 4 and younger; 11:15a.m. for children 5 to 8; 11:30a.m. for children 9 to 12; and an 11:45a.m. free-for-all hunt for all ages. last_img read more

‘Chelsea didn’t deserve it’ fumes Mourinho

first_imgUnited were poor in the opening period, but they controlled possession after the interval as Chelsea manager Antonio Conte opted to play more cautiously.Despite dominating in the second half, Mourinho’s side left empty-handed thanks to some fine saves from Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.And the United manager, often criticised for sending out negative teams himself, couldn’t resist the chance to take a swipe at his old rival Conte’s tactics.“I congratulate them because they won but I don’t think they deserved to win,” Mourinho said.“I am the Manchester United manager and I have to be respectful, not just because they (Chelsea) are my previous club but because they are the opponents today.“But I think we deserved to win. I am quite curious to know what you say or what people write because if my team plays like Chelsea did I can imagine what people would say. I am quite curious.“The image of the game is that (United goalkeeper) David de Gea did not touch the ball. He touched the ball in the net.”Mourinho admitted the absence of Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku, who was only able to feature as a second-half substitute following an ankle injury, was a major hindrance as it encouraged Chelsea to play a more defensive and physical style.“It was a bit hard for us to play without Lukaku against a team that defends with nine players. You need that presence,” he said.“Chelsea are not stupid. They know our team without Lukaku does not have a presence, so putting eight or nine players in front of the box they knew they would be dominant in that direct football.“We tried everything by other ways but they had a huge block of compacted players.“Every defeat hurts but I go home with the feeling we gave everything. No regrets.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho orchestrates from the touchline, but his former club Chelsea won the FA Cup final on Saturday© AFP Ian KINGTONLONDON, United Kingdom, May 19 –  Jose Mourinho claimed Chelsea didn’t deserve to win the FA Cup after adopting a cautious approach in the second half of their 1-0 victory against Manchester United on Saturday.Mourinho was frustrated that Chelsea opted to sit back and defend the lead secured by Eden Hazard’s first-half penalty at Wembley.last_img read more

FIFA asks Iraq to host qualifiers elsewhere

first_img“FIFA informed us late Tuesday night that we must choose a new place, an alternative outside Iraq, for the scheduled match with Iran by Wednesday,” the deputy head of the Iraqi football federation, Ali Jabbar, told AFP.The Iraqi federation has received a formal letter from FIFA and is “following up on the issue,” another member of the federation confirmed.A statement from FIFA said it had assessed “the current security situation in Iraq” and informed the local federation that upcoming matches “must be played on neutral ground.”“The Iraqi Football Association has been requested to nominate a neutral venue for the said matches, which is subject to confirmation by FIFA and the AFC,” it said.The decision is a major disappointment for Iraq, which had lobbied FIFA for years to reverse a ban on hosting home internationals because of instability.Following the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, the country was plunged into years of violence and no international games were hosted there.The ban was lifted by FIFA last year and Iraq hosted its first qualifier in October against Hong Kong, winning 2-0.Iraq tops its group for Asia Cup qualification with seven points, leading  Bahrain on goal difference, while Iran holds third spot with six points.Hong Kong and Cambodia each have one point.0Shares0000(Visited 29 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000FIFA asks Iraq to host qualifiers elsewhere after protestsBAGHDAD, Iraq, Nov 6 – Iraq has been told to find neutral venues for this month’s home qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup and 2023 Asia Cup because of ongoing protests, officials said on Wednesday.Iraq had been due to play the two games in Basra — against Iran on November 14 and Bahrain on November 19 — but the southern port city has been caught up in the anti-government demonstrations that have swept Baghdad and the south.last_img read more

No Everton move for former Inter Milan striker

first_img1 Everton will have to switch their attentions elsewhere after reports in Italy claimed that Goran Pandev has signed a pre-contract agreement with Genoa.The former Inter Milan and Napoli striker will leave Galatasaray in the summer when his contract expires and Corriere Mercantile is reporting that he has agreed a two-year deal with Genoa.The news will come as a blow to Roberto Martinez, who was eyeing a move for the 31-year-old forward.Pandev has struggled to secure a regular first-team place at Galatasaray this season and is keen to get his career back on track in Italy. Goran Pandev last_img

Liverpool fans praise ‘wise decision’ after Reds offer out-of-favour star new deal

first_img1 He may not be a Liverpool regular, but Mamadou Sakho is clearly a fan favourite.Often described as gangly and clumsy, Sakho emerged as one of the Reds’ most consistent performers last season as the Merseysiders embarked on a 13-game unbeaten run between December and March.This season, however, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has handed the maligned Dejan Lovren a shot at retribution at the expense of Sakho’s place in the side.That triggered doubts about the player’s Anfield future, with both Roma and Bayer Leverkusen allegedly tabling bids for the French centre-back.Reports emerging on Friday though claim that Sakho has been offered a new £100,000-a-week deal to fend off interest from other clubs.Liverpool supporters seem overjoyed at the club’s decision, with many taking to Twitter to voice their approval. //storify.com/talksport/liverpool-fans-praise-wise-decision-after-defender.js?border=false[View the story “Liverpool fans praise ‘wise decision’ after defender Mamadou Sakho is offered new deal” on Storify]center_img Mamadou Sakho last_img read more

Sun Valley offices to be middle school

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Plans also include building a 1,020-seat campus to house grades 7-12 next to the office building site. Building a middle school instead of a high school will not require a change in design. The high school and new middle school are scheduled to open in fall 2008 and will reduce the 5,300-student Polytechnic, which has been operating on a year-round calendar for about 10 years, by 1,620 students. When the 7-12 school opens in fall 2010, it will take an additional 500 Polytechnic students. Many groups have criticized LAUSD for its $37 million purchase of the mold-infested office building at 850 Arleta Blvd. from the city Department of Water and Power in 2004 even after the environmental problems were identified. But district officials argued the desperate need for a high school in northeast San Fernando Valley, and the purchase of the office building would allow them to build three new schools more cost effectively than if they had purchased new land or exercised eminent domain to remove people from their homes. “I think that it was very wise on the board’s part in converting Byrd Middle School into a high school,” board member Julie Korenstein said. “This was a safety issue, and this board of education made the right decision in turning a lemon into lemonade.” The LAUSD board on Tuesday abandoned its years-old plan to build a high school at the site of the trouble-plagued Anthony Office Building in Sun Valley, voting instead to erect a middle school across the street from Polytechnic High. The Los Angeles Unified School District board also voted to convert Byrd Middle School, located six blocks away from Polytechnic, into a high school. That will relieve overcrowding at Polytechnic and allow it to convert from a year-round school to a traditional, two-semester campus. “There were concerns with another high school opening across the street (from Polytechnic), so we’re pleased it will be a middle school. We will be able to establish a close working relationship with the middle school,” said Polytechnic Assistant Principal Ed Trimis. The board unanimously voted to spend $20 million to convert Byrd into a 1,620-seat, two-semester high school. The Anthony Office Building – which had originally been purchased to build a high school – will become 1,620-student middle school. The building was put up for sale for about $50 million, but the district negotiated it down to $37 million. The idea was to move as many as 1,000 students into the building by July 2002, but the discovery of mold forced the district to plan to demolish the structure and build a new high school at the site. But plans to build a $54 million high school on the 31-acre site riled the community, with residents saying a brand new high school so close to another would have created a fierce cross-street rivalry that would have led to fights. It will cost the district $134 million to build a middle school and grade 7-12 school across from Polytechnic High, including the cost of purchasing the land. Naush Boghossian, (818) 713-3722 naush.boghossian@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

FA to approve proposal for retrospective bans for diving and feigning injury

first_img1 Marcus Rashford won a penalty against Swansea despite not being touched by Lukasz Fabianski The Football Association is expected to approve a proposal for retrospective bans for players who dive or feign injury in English football from next season.The idea, which is already being used in Scotland, is on the agenda at the FA’s annual general meeting at Wembley on Thursday.It is understood that the English Football League, League Managers Association, Premier League and Professional Footballers’ Association support the plan.If approved by three-quarters of the 1,100 FA shareholders, three-man panels will review footage from the weekend each Monday and any player unanimously found to have cheated can expect a ban.Introduced in 2011, the Scottish Football Association’s (SFA) rule 201 gives a disciplinary panel the power to impose two-game bans for acts of simulation missed by the officials or rescind yellow cards for players who were incorrectly adjudged to have dived.Hearts winger Jamie Walker has experienced both verdicts this season, having served a two-game ban for a dive to gain a penalty against Celtic in August and then been retrospectively cleared of simulation during a game against Rangers in December.Simulation has been an issue in the game for years and there have been a number of notable cases this season, including Robert Snodgrass’s dive to earn a penalty for Hull against Crystal Palace and more recent incidents involving Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford.In the past, FIFA has been reluctant to take decision-making away from the officials on the day but there are influential voices at world football’s governing body more receptive to the idea of technology that helps officials and retrospective penalties to stamp out cheating.With England and Scotland having permanent seats on FIFA’s law-making body the International Football Association Board, bans for divers could soon become a worldwide policy.last_img read more

JOHN CARLIN PRIMARY SCHOOL ATHLETIC AWARDS – PICTURE SPECIAL

first_imgATHLETICS: The recipients of the 2016 John Carlin primary school athletics awards were Lucy Mc Glynn, Holy Family NS, Ballyshannon; Hannah Murray, Castlefinn and Joseph Gillespie, Sessiaghoneill. They were adjudged to having been the stand out competitors in the recent athletics finals at Finn Valley to which 1300 youngsters came from 87 schools and were the culmination in many instances of regional qualifying heats which engaged close to 4000 children. It marked a great honour not only for the youngsters involved but for the school and parents all of whom have embraced the project.The awards are presented in memory of late John Carlin, Crossroads, Killygordon a former Ulster champion and Donegal high jump record holder by his family whom were  represented by Sean Carlin himself a former national senior champion and record holder accompanied by Irish Olympic Team Manager Patsy Mc Gonagle.The award ceremonies were received enthusiastically in each of the schools where joined by the school population and attended by parents ,family members and school athletics coaches.JOHN CARLIN PRIMARY SCHOOL ATHLETIC AWARDS – PICTURE SPECIAL was last modified: June 3rd, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:athleticsawardsnewspicture specialSportlast_img read more

Football Receives One ILI During Early Signing Period

first_imgHill was a two-time team captain and a three-year starter for Bondurant-Farrar High School. He earned first-team all-district honors in 2016 after being the top tackler in the district. Hill garnered all-district and Iowa Preps second-team all-state honors in 2017. He participated in the 2017 River Battle Bowl last month. “Johnny is what Drake is all about and he is just the beginning of what is going to be a great 2018 recruiting class,” said Fox. DES MOINES, Iowa – The Drake University football team received an Institutional Letter of Intent (ILI) from Bondurant, Iowa native, Johnny Hill, to join the Bulldogs for the 2018 season, fifth-year head coach Rick Fox announced Thursday during the early signing period. “We are incredibly excited about Johnny Hill signing with us today. Johnny brings all the things we look for in a Bulldog. He is a first-class young man. He is a really talented football player and is driven to maximize his talent, while also having a vision of doing something great after he graduates with a degree from Drake University,” said Fox. The Bulldogs will round out the rest of their 2018 class on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018 when the signing period re-opens. Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more