Mar 28, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – China announced today that a 16-year-old boy died of H5N1 avian influenza, and yesterday Egypt reported that a 46-year-old woman had tested positive for the disease, according to news services.Officials in China said the boy is from Bengbu in eastern Anhui province, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported. China’s health ministry told Xinhua, the state news agency, that the boy got sick Mar 17 and was hospitalized the following day and that surgical treatment was unsuccessful, the AFP report said. If the boy’s case is confirmed by the WHO, he will be listed as China’s 24th case-patient and 15th fatality.Media reports have not said if the boy had contact with infected birds. Local health authorities told AFP that no bird outbreaks have been reported in the boy’s town and that his close contacts have so far shown no symptoms of the disease, AFP reported.In Egypt, the health ministry reported that the 46-year-old woman who tested positive for H5N1 is from the northern Nile delta city of Damnhour, about 80 miles north of Cairo, the Associated Press (AP) reported. Few details were available about her illness, though health officials said the woman and other recent H5N1 patients contracted the virus from domestic birds, the AP report said.If the WHO confirms the woman’s case, she will be listed at Egypt’s 30th case-patient. Her case is the country’s 12th reported this year.Also today, the WHO confirmed two other Egyptian cases that were reported earlier yesterday, involving a 6-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy. Both were hospitalized on Mar 25, had contact with infected birds, and remain in stable condition, according to the WHO report.The 6-year-old girl is from the southern province of Qena, and the 5-year-old boy is from Menia province in central Egypt.In Indonesia, the Jakarta Post reported today that a 40-year-old man who had tested positive for H5N1 died in Surabaya, capital of East Java. Yesterday an AFP story had listed the Surabaya patient as a 39-year-old.See also:Mar 28 WHO statement
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Read also: How bad is the COVID-19 situation in Indonesia?She was treated at the Taman Desa Medical Centre in Kuala Lumpur before being transferred to Hospital Kuala Lumpur shortly after testing positive.In a press conference on Sunday, Health Ministry Disease Control and Prevention Directorate general secretary Achmad Yurianto said that authorities were tracking down those who had had contact with the woman. Indonesia has announced four confirmed COVID-19 cases, all of which are connected to a Japanese woman who tested positive for the disease in Malaysia after visiting Indonesia in early February. (vny)Topics : A Malaysian woman has tested positive for COVID-19 in Kuala Lumpur after returning from a visit to Indonesia, Malaysian state news agency Bernama reported on Thursday. The woman is the ninth COVID-19 patient abroad to have tested positive for the disease after traveling to Indonesia. According to the Bernama report, the 46-year-old woman visited Jakarta and Bogor with her husband and two children from Feb. 13 to 19.
Trump said on Tuesday he was open to another meeting with Kim and thought it might be helpful, Voice of America said, citing a transcript of Trump interview with Gray Television, due to be aired on Sunday.But North Korea, apparently frustrated that there’s been no sign of any easing of punishing sanctions against it, has said in recent weeks it had no intention of sitting down again with the United States.Tension flared last month when North Korea blew up a joint North-South liaison office on its side of the border, before just as suddenly dropping a threat of military action against the South.Biegun has led working-level talks with North Korea but the negotiations have been stalled since the two sides last met in Sweden in October. Biegun, the top US envoy on efforts to press North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons, met South Korea’s national security adviser, Suh Hoon.Biegun is due to arrive in Japan later on Thursday.South Korea has been trying to promote peace efforts and Suh was instrumental in arranging summits between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.Trump and Kim met for the first time in 2018 in Singapore, raising hopes for a negotiated end to North Korea’s nuclear program. But their second summit, in 2019 in Vietnam, and later working-level talks, fell apart. Topics : The United States has stressed the importance of resuming talks with North Korea, South Korea said on Thursday, even though North Korea has said it has no intention of returning to the negotiating table.US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun, who wound up three days of talks in Seoul, earlier rejected speculation he was seeking to meet North Korean officials during his visit, but said the United States was open to talks.”Biegun emphasized the importance of reopening dialogue with North Korea,” the office of South Korean President Moon Jae-in said in a statement.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) has urged the public to prepare for heavy rain and strong winds in much of the country and to remain alert for floods and landslides.BNPB spokesperson Raditya Jati said the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) had predicted thunderstorms in several parts of the country.”Heavy rain accompanied by strong winds and lightning is expected in Aceh, West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, North Kalimantan, East Kalimantan, Central Sulawesi, North Maluku, Maluku, West Papua, Papua, West Sumatra, Riau, Bengkulu, Lampung, and West Java,” Raditya said in a press release on Monday. He advised people who lived near river banks to prepare for potential flooding. Those who lived near cliffs or in hilly areas, he added, should be wary of landslides.Raditya also reminded the public to follow health protocols to curb the spread of COVID-19 if they needed to evacuate their homes.Previously, the BMKG called on the public to prepare for extreme weather and possible natural disasters during the shift to rainy season in much of the country.”As the BMKG has warned of extreme weather during transition to the rainy season, I urge the public to be on alert for hydrometeorological disasters such as flooding, flash floods, landslides, strong winds and whirlwinds,” Raditya said. (nal) Topics :
Country artist John Michael Montgomery is scheduled to perform in Batesville September 13.Sounds like a well-known country singer will indeed perform in Batesville late this summer.The Rural Alliance for the Arts organized and scheduled an outdoor concert featuring John Michael Montgomery on September 13. The country star has already listed the tour stop on his website.After searching for the appropriate venue to host the concert, it appears it will likely be held at the Batesville BallPlex.RAA member Jeff Pawlik met with park board officials last week to discuss the location. The park board suggested organizers continue planning and verify a stage will fit at the baseball complex.The concert will be a major production, with a large stage and speaker system, security and vendors, RAA Vice President Regina Siefert explained.“I want to use community groups, like the Kiwanis, boy scouts, 4-H club, something like that to make this a very large community event,” Siefert said. “I am excited about working with the community and excited about bringing a pretty big name star to our tiny, small name town!”Ticket sales are expected to start this summer. Siefert said there will be various locations to purchase tickets and plenty of seats.Montgomery has achieved success with 36 hit singles, 2 Billboard Country Singles of the Year and sold 18 million albums worldwide.
Virgil G. Rowlett, age 84, of Brookville, Indiana died Monday, November 13, 2017 at Reid Health in Richmond, Indiana.Born March 2, 1933 in Kentucky, he was the son of the late Homer & Nannie Rowlett. He was a U.S. Army Veteran.Virgil was retired, having worked at the former Ford/Visteon in Connersville for 40 years, and 11 years at J & J packaging in Brookville.In his leisure time he enjoyed the outdoors, hunting, fishing and gardening; playing cards, but time spent with his grandchildren was something he cherished most.He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles #1129 of Brookville, the Fraternal Order of Redmen Oshawnee #220 of Brookville; as well as the Bernard Hurst Post #77 of the American Legion in Brookville. Survivors include two children, Gregory Scott (Ruth) Rowlett of Brookville, Indiana and Kathy A. (Steve) Miller of Laurel, Indiana; a sister, Mildred Craft of Sunman, Indiana, 7 grandchildren; 6 great-grandchildren, as well as several nieces & nephews.Family & friends may visit from 2:00 P.M. until 3:00 P.M. on Friday, November 17, 2017 at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home, 1025 Franklin Avenue, Brookville.The Very Rev. Sean R. Danda will officiate the Funeral Services at 3:00 P.M. on Friday, November 17, 2017 at Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home. Burial with full military graveside honors by the Bernard Hurst Post #77 of the American Legion will then follow in St. Michael Catholic Cemetery in Brookville. After the committal services at the cemetery, there will be a gathering for family & friends at the American Legion Club Room, 1290 Fairfield Avenue, Brookville.Memorial contributions may be directed to the Bernard Hurst Post #77 of the American Legion. Phillips & Meyers Funeral Home and staff are honored to serve the family of Virgil Rowlett, to sign the online guest book or send personal condolences please visit www.phillipsandmeyers.com .
Lawrenceburg, In. — A Moores Hill man has been sentenced to 20-years in prison in connection with a January 2017 drunk driving crash that killed Steven Ahaus. Dearborn-Ohio County prosecutor Lynn Deddens says Rocky Lee McMurray, 49, entered guilty pleas for operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing death and being a habitual traffic offender.The Dearborn Superior Court II Judge Sally McLaughlin gave McMurray the maximum sentence because of his criminal past and the hardship his conduct created for the Ahaus family.McMurray will serve 12-years for driving while intoxicated causing death with no time suspended and eight years for being a habitual traffic offender, again with no time suspended.Prosecutor Deddens said, “Mr. McMurray represents the worst type of OVWI offender. Anytime you have an individual who has shown enough disregard for the extreme risk they put the community at by driving drunk six times is concerning, but when you know that an individual has already killed one person, and continues to get behind the wheel after he’s been drinking, that’s the level of indifference that is hard to imagine.”
Two-meter man Matt Maier earned an All-America Honorable Mention and an All-MPSF Honorable Mention last season. (Emily Smith | Daily Trojan)One year after playing in the national championship, the USC men’s water polo team returns with high expectations once again, despite fielding an extremely young roster. Last December, the Trojans managed an impressive NCAA tournament run featuring a dramatic come-from-behind victory in the national semifinals against Cal. Following an improbable 12-11 victory over the Golden Bears, the Men of Troy lined up against crosstown rival UCLA with the national championship on the line. Despite a strong start, the Bruins proved to be too much for USC as the Trojans fell 7-5 and UCLA took home its 11th title in school history.Eight months later, the Trojans now look forward to a new season with high hopes. Following the 2017 title run, the USC men’s team lost 10 seniors including starting goalie McQuin Baron, USC’s all-time saves leader, and driver Blake Edwards, who ranks ninth on USC’s all-time scoring list.Replacing Baron and Edwards will be difficult, but USC has a strong crop of young talent that can help fill the gaps. Leading the way is sophomore driver Marko Vavic who paced the team in scoring with 51 goals in 2017. The son of coach Jovan Vavic, Marko Vavic was also selected to play on the U.S. Men’s Senior National Team alongside Trojans McQuin and former driver Thomas Dunstan.Aside from Marko Vavic, the Trojan defense is still very much a work in progress. With McQuin gone, only redshirt freshman Matt Moran-Flores returns from last season’s roster and will battle four true freshmen for the job. His biggest competitor will likely be Sam Krutonog, a Harvard-Westlake graduate and All-CIF First Team pick. Krutonog is a member of the U.S. Cadet National Team and has earned high praise from Jovan Vavic as “a student of the game [with] poise under pressure.”Looking into the team’s schedule in 2018, USC will again take on some of the nation’s best squads early. The team’s season opener on Sept. 1 comes in the UCLA Mini Invitational against Pomona-Pitzer, a squad that finished last season ranked 18th in the nation. USC will find its first elite competition when it hosts Pacific in late September. After winning 11-7 in last year’s meeting on the road in Stockton, Calif., the Trojans will have a great opportunity early in the season to build experience against a projected NCAA tournament team.Following the Pacific match, the Trojans will go on a long stretch of play through October in which they participate in two tournaments on top of five matches against top-10 opponents such as Stanford, Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara.While USC will likely have a chance to rematch UCLA at the Mountain Pacific Invitational in mid-October, the two will return to the Uytengsu Aquatics Center on Nov. 10 in the final match of the regular season. Hot on the heels of a Nov. 3 showdown against California, USC’s match against the Bruins will set the tone for the Men of Troy as they head into the MPSF Tournament the next weekend and eventually the NCAA Championships.While the team will not host the finals as they did in 2017, the Trojans will again look to surprise and succeed this year.
StumbleUpon Related Articles Submit SBC Magazine Issue 10: Kaizen Gaming rebrand and focus for William Hill CEO August 25, 2020 Share William Hill accelerates transformation agenda to overcome COVID realities August 5, 2020 Share Gamesys tops list for GambleAware Q1 donations July 10, 2020 FTSE betting group William Hill Plc has moved to strengthen its corporate governance advisory, confirming the appointment of Lynne Weedall as a new Independent Non-Executive Director.A figurehead in UK retail and leisure, Weedall is an expert in human resources and corporate transformation strategies for large scale enterprises.During her thirty-year executive career, Weedall has led HR and group operations for a number of the UK’s biggest multi-nationals’ including Tesco Plc, Whitbred Hospitality and Dixons Carphone Plc.Weedall joins William Hill’s governance advisory, having most recently served as a Non-Executive Director and Remuneration Chair for UK brewery Greene King (2012-2019).FTSE bookmaker, William Hill continues its ‘transformation strategy’ led by a new executive team, with the company seeking to deliver – digital growth at a multi-market level, rapid US scale and the remodelling of its entire UK retail division.“We are delighted that Lynne will be joining the board of William Hill,” said William Hill chairman Roger Devlin.“Lynne’s broad experience with organisations undertaking operational and cultural change will further support the board’s efforts and focus on delivering on our strategy.”